I’ve been tagged by h. and tasked with telling you ten random things about me. So here goes.
1) I skipped second grade.
2) But I failed calculus in high school. Not like just barely failed. I got a 47 in fall semester calc. Those concepts just didn’t register with me at all . . . not ever really studying for the class didn’t help either.
3) In fifth grade, I was offered the chance to audition for The Atlanta Boy Choir. I didn’t go. I played baseball instead. (Not sure I chose wisely there.)
4) My senior year of high school, I had a problem with No Doz. One really shouldn’t take 6 of those things before a first-period physics class. (That might also explain my inability to focus in Ms. Cole’s calculus class.)
5) For my first semester of my freshman year at UF, I lived in a dorm (Murphree Hall) that was not air-conditioned. The school offered this option at a lower cost for people who wanted to reduce their expenses. I think I just signed up for housing late. I was in a triple. We had a system of box fans in the windows to try and deal with the heat. Two fans blew air out of the room and two drew air in. [The electrical system in that old dorm couldn’t handle everyone having window AC units, so no one was allowed to.] August and September were brutal months in that room. I showered at least twice a day just to try and cool off (not because I was OCD). But it was right next to the north end zone of The Swamp, so it was very convenient to roll out of bed and into the stadium on game days to watch Emmitt during his sophomore year. Second semester, I moved over to the old Hume Hall which had AC.
6) Grammar-related pet peeves:
(a) “Irregardless” is not a word.
(b) There is no need for the word “prideful.” The noun is “pride.” To be full of pride is to be “proud.”
(c) At least 90% of the time, you do not need to use “or not” when you use the word “whether.” The “whether” alone is sufficient. Trust me.
7) I’ve only broken one bone on my body. The pinky toe on my right foot. When I was 17 or 18, I woke up one morning and stepped out of bed. In my post-slumber stupor, I did not appreciate that my foot was asleep. I put my weight on it, and the toe went right while the rest of my body fell in a heap. Luckily, my foot was asleep, so I didn’t really feel the pain of the break. No real need to go to the doctor to confirm that break though. The 90-degree angle the toe was making with the neighboring toe was all the evidence I needed. I just taped the toe to the adjacent ring-finger toe and went about my day. Along with some Advil for pain management.
8) If I could do anything, I would coach soccer full-time. If I had to do something else in order to coach soccer, I would try to teach — preferably on a college campus. This law firm life doesn’t allow the freedom necessary to coach.
9) I like to cuss. And I cuss a lot when I play sports (or watch sports for that matter). I blame it on my Irish blood. Jen just says I’m a freak.
10) I get annoyed by all the talk about closing off our borders and stemming the tide of immigrants (even the “illegal” ones). And not just because my son is Hispanic. This is a country founded by immigrants. There was only one “native” people group here when the pilgrims discovered the “new world” in their brass-buckled clogs. If we took some time to get to know these immigrants, we’d see that most of them are here because they believe in the same American Dream that the rest of us do. Many of them are making far greater sacrifices to realize it too. Frankly, I’m not sure what everyone is so afraid of.
And keep voting for Modern Skirts (see below). Yesterday afternoon, the band had taken over the top spot, but this morning, they had slipped back to #2 again. Vote HERE. And vote as often as you like/can.